Information for Mentors
Mentoring a student allows you to provide insight, leadership and career guidance to future alumni and employees of your industry. Mentors provide inspiration and support, assisting students with career direction and life perspective and can be transformational for a student.
This is an opportunity to give back to La Trobe university community and shape the future of industry and we welcome you to join us on this journey.
Mentor registrations are welcomed year-round. The program is flexible and designed to meet the needs of busy professionals.
Mentors in this program need to be currently employed or actively volunteering with at least one year of professional work experience.
The benefits of mentoring
Mentoring is often a rewarding experience and a chance to reflect on your own journey, skills and knowledge.
- Develop a fresh perspective on your career
- Enhance your coaching and leadership skills
- Extend your professional network
- Encourage your creative thinking
- Help shape the future of your profession and community
- Connect with the next generation of graduates
- Support inclusion, diversity, and open communication
- Feel valued by giving back
- Reconnect or develop closer links with La Trobe University
The structure and matching process
This program is facilitated by University staff who will support you and your mentee throughout the program.
- The mentoring program commences at the start of each semester
- Mentor registrations are accepted throughout the year
- Students are responsible for the relationship and will initiate the first contact
- The frequency of meetings is negotiated between mentor and mentee in the initial meeting
- Meetings can take place where and when it is convenient for you
- Option to participate in networking events with other mentees and mentors
What should I expect from my mentee?
A beneficial and rewarding mentoring relationship is often dependent on a mentee's initiative to engage with their mentor.
We require mentees to demonstrate their commitment and interest prior to participation in the program. Students are encouraged to complete an online mentoring induction module and attend a preparation workshop where they discuss their career goals and are asked to consider topics to discuss with their mentor.
As a general guideline, we expect that mentees will:
- Initiate communications with their mentor after a connection is made
- Consider topics of discussion and questions before each meeting
- Be punctual to meetings
- Communicate regularly and promptly with mentor (based on agreement)
- Honour commitments
- Be respectful of the mentoring relationship and communicate in a courteous manner
- Keep shared information confidential
The Mentor’s Role
Mentors challenge, motivate, inspire and empower their mentees to make positive changes in their lives.
The role of the mentor is to work with the mentee to identify where they need greater insight and understanding and develop the mentee's own resourcefulness. A mentor guides the mentee to look at a variety of options to solve problems for themselves. Mentors need to be open to sharing their personal experiences and knowledge. It is through this exchange that students develop a better understanding of the professional world and the ability to make informed decisions on career paths and strategies post–study.
- Provide guidance to students around self-reliance, motivation and confidence
- Provide insight into particular professional fields and networks
- Provide advice regarding subject selection, resume, job interview skills, internship opportunities, especially for those mentoring first/second year students
- Provide a safe place for discussion without judgement
- Challenge assumptions and preconceptions about career paths and how to succeed
- Encourage self-directed reflection, analysis and problem solving
- Assist students with goal-setting and decision-making
- Assist student to develop a network of professional contacts in Australia, especially if mentoring an international student
Preparing for the mentoring experience
We provide all mentors with a structured mentoring program with access to online resources and step-by-step guidelines.