Information for Mentors
Thank you for considering being involved with the La Trobe Ask Alumni Program. This program gives you the opportunity to connect with a La Trobe student and to offer support in a meaningful and personalised way as they navigate the world of work.
Becoming a mentor in Ask Alumni allows students to engage with you for once off questions or conversations relating to careers and professional development. This program can be for those who do not have the time to engage in the longer term Industry Mentoring Program, or it can compliment your role in that program.
Mentor registrations are welcomed year-round. The program is flexible and designed to meet the needs of busy professionals. The commitment is light, consisting of once off conversations subject to your availability. Students will reach out directly to you if they have a question.
Mentors in this program need to be currently employed or actively volunteering with at least one year of professional work experience.
What type of questions could I expect?
Students will reach out to mentors for a range of different reasons relating to careers. These may be relating to professional troubleshooting, career guidance or help towards an upcoming careers related decision. Some examples could include:
- Should I undertake further study?
- I have an interview coming up, how should I prepare?
- I'm having a conflict at work, do you have advice on how to deal with it?
- I'm attending a professional networking event, what should I say?
You can choose whether to engage with a student if requested, based on your availability and your expertise to answer the question being asked of you.
The structure and matching process
This program is flexible and designed for students to reach out directly to mentors in the program. Students can reach out to mentors at any time of the year, and mentors can opt in or out of the conversations.
- Mentor registrations are accepted throughout the year
- Students are responsible for initiating contact
- The commitment is up to you, you can accept questions if you are available
- Designed for a once off conversation